Home Page

dotdot...

Thursday, August 12, 2010

To Tattoo or Not?


Ever seriously contemplated if you should get a tattoo? - What about a fleeting thought of: what it would be like or what you would have?

 Katherine, who designs tattoos, shares with us just what it is about this 'skin art' that is so very trendy, and if your brave enough to bare your flesh - what to do.


Tattoos can be 'taboo' to many, and to others an exciting ' always wanted one' subject. 
This 'skin art' form is becoming more and more popular: business men, house wives and even the younger generation seem to be popping up with them.

There are so many different types of tattoos: plain black and white, color, grey or even a UV tattoo.


Tattoos are all about expression, an express of you,  and thats why I love them. I don’t have one yet, but  I have already designed and picked two tattoos that I want to get…so far.

My Sister got her first tattoo on her trip to America. 
It is Kanji (Japanese text) that means Small Branch. When I asked her why she got it, she replied ever so wisely; “Small Branch comes from John 15, "I am the vine and you are the branches, remain in me" The 'Small part' is to remind me that I am a small part of a bigger picture.” 
Her tattoo is really tasteful and sits on top of her foot. 
These, day tattoos are not all about great big pieces that cover your whole body but rather tasteful pictures, symbols, and text.


Tattoos not only serve as art, but also as reminders. For the majority of people who have tattoos, it’s a sometimes painful, but pleasant memory of a chapter in their lives.  

In getting one and baring my flesh, I have to admit, I’ve thought and thought about the consequences, “what if I don’t like it?” “What will it look like when I get older?” - we all think these thoughts, so here are my 'I'm getting a tattoo tips:



1. Choose your tattoo. If you can’t find a specific design you want, All you need now is an arty friend, who can draw one for you, or you can go into the tattoo parlor and most will design one for you.


2. Research is the key! First mistake in tattoo’s is not researching! I’m very adamant about this because no one wants to end up with something they regret. If you are getting script make sure you have the spelling right and if it is in a different language make sure you get someone who actually speaks that language to make sure it means what it means.
 
3. Here is an important thing, PLACING! A fun experiment is to get some fake tattoos and place them where you think you want your real one.
 
4. More Research, this time research Tattoo parlors. Look around on the internet, go visit the shop and talk to your tattooed friends about where they got their’s done. You will never get a hundred percent great feedback on one place, but all you need to do is ask why? 

5. Last but MOST IMPORTANT! Don’t be hasty! My number one rule for tattoos is I have to have a picture of the tattoo and put it somewhere i can see it everyday and if I still like it after six to eight months, then I will get it. Try that and see, if after six months you don’t like it, throw it away, and if your sure, then make an appointment and go for it!

I guess in the end its all about personal preference, which is Aok! 


Your body is a temple, but how long can you live in the same house before you redecorate? -- Author Unknown

2 comments:

  1. Good post. Should be required reading for anyone who is thinking about getting a tattoo.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Totally with you Doug. We've all seen 'tattoos gone wrong' lol

    ReplyDelete