Home Page

dotdot...

Thursday, August 19, 2010

It's time for some Food!

These days it seems like everywhere you go people are talking gluten free, lactose intolerant and more. Below Amanda Bradford shares with us some insights into this world...  


Are you one of these people who don’t understand why other people would want to be or have to be Wheat Free, Gluten Free, Vegan, etc, etc, etc…..

There are so many ‘new’ titles for food allergies these days that it’s hard to know what they all are and not to mention do they really exist or is it all just in our heads.
I was one of these people who would secretly scoff when someone ordered a soy latte… why would you want to drink that stuff!

Ok, I am making a formal apology to all persons who fit into the above category because I was judging you from my ignorance. Recently I was not feeling myself and I visited a naturopath who put me on a good old liver cleanse. Not only did she prescribe a really disgusting herbal mixture morning and night but my diet for 3 weeks includes no wheat, dairy, gluten, red meat… oh, let’s just say ‘everything yummy’! And just to top it off - no caffeine - so I hide in the pantry, sniffing the coffee beans…. feels like I’m doing something naughty J

The first week my body ached and a number of other unmentionable changes invaded or maybe better described as escaped my body. It was not nice but then neither was the way I was feeling before all this began. There is 10 days remaining and have to say that I do have more energy and I have started to wake up before the alarm… what’s with that! It certainly is still a work in progress but along this journey the meals I have had to invent have actually been tasty and if only we could continue to incorporate a few of these healthier options into the normal weekly meal plan, our bodies might just thank us!







Manda’s Meal Plan for a day

Breakfast: Brown Rice Flake porridge

Lunch: Salad - cabbage, carrot, capsicum, shallots, celery, olives & pumpkin seeds with dressing of: - Gluten Free soy sauce, apple cider vinegar, olive oil and honey

Dinner:  Lots of free range chicken done a number of ways but my favorite:

Chicken with Tomatoes & Olives

Marinate 800g diced Chicken for 30 - 60 mins in 3tbls olive oil, 3tbls lemon juice & 2tsp
garlic.
In the meantime - roast a capsicum (I did this directly on the gas burner - continue turning every few minutes until totally black then when cooled, rub off the blackened skin and dice the beautiful soft red capsicum.
Cook 1 diced onion in 1tbls olive oil till soft but not brown. Stir in 2tbls of Tomato paste & cook till it begins to darken in color - few of minutes. Add a 400g can of chopped Roma tomatoes in juice and bring to a simmer. Drain chicken and discard marinade, then add chicken to the sauce - add 1tbls of fresh oregano or a tsp of dried oregano, the diced capsicum, half a cup of green olives and season with ground pepper. Simmer for 15mins or till chicken is cooked through. Serves 4-6 YUM YUM!

Extra Tips: Eat bananas and tropical fruits in between meals and drink plenty of water!

Amanda Bradford: 30 years old, 15 years working career = long service, 8 weeks
holiday, caravan, car, awesome hubby, doggy, NSW, VIC, SA, QLD and all this to enjoy
my hobbies of reading, painting, drawing, drinking 'good' black coffee and delicious
Food!

Why not follow Fradaz own writer, Elizabeth, on her 30day challenge to better health.


Got any recipes to share? Email them to fradazmag@westnet.com.au - We'd love to
hear from you and share your stuff.


No comments:

Post a Comment