Home Page

dotdot...

Saturday, April 17, 2010

Doing My Time!

Lately I have caught myself saying “everyone has to do their time”. There are just some things in my life journey that I just flat out think are a season that I cannot change. These are the circumstances of life that we all go through and we start from a young age: The school years of a zillion assignments and late night homework or that crapy first job that pays small and keep you from your friend’s party. What about heart ache when wonderful he dumps you? Daggy, ugly furniture in your first home (think olive green with big white and yellow flowers) or that bomb of a car you must drive that breaks down every 5 minutes. My favourtie is trying to get the newborn baby to sleep in the middle of the night (L.A.C.K. O.F. S.L.E.E.P. Groooooaaaan!)

Now all these things are not necessarily a bad thing. They are in some instances what we call a rite of passage and we do just put it down to plain old 'that’s life'.

So anyway, the other night at my new lovely friends house I caught myself saying it again. It was due to the fact that I have just moved town and have no baby sitters for my girls = no date night out with my hubby:( sob. Out it came when my friends offered to babysit for me “thank you so much, yeah we have no babysitters but no complaints here, we’re new in town and everyone does their time.” Yikes! And then it hit me, what a silly thing I was saying. I was settling.

Truth Moment: Of course we all have things in life that we may not enjoy and seasons of pure circumstances but we don’t have to settle for it.

I learnt in that moment that I settle too quickly in my circumstances and palm it off as plain old 'that’s life'. I think it is time I acknowledging where I am at but then more importantly commit to take the necessary steps or goals to see it change.You see if I just keep settling for “doing my time” (how humble and noble of me) then I will never step out and see if I could change it or find a better way through it.

From now on I am banned from saying “everyone does there time” instead I am going to say yes to finding a better or new way through that season.

Thinking… …What right now are you settling for and what could you do to change it or make it better? Share.




My season of life!

No comments:

Post a Comment